Kookoo Sabzi with Walnuts and Barberries
1 large bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley, remove the hard stems, wash and chop finely, makes about a cup
1 large bunch of fresh cilantro (geshniz), remove the hard stems, wash and chop finely, makes about a cup
1 large bunch of fresh scallions - green parts only (piazcheh) or chives, makes about a cup, use tareh instead if you can find it in your area
3-4 layers of fresh lettuce, finely chopped (I used inner layers of the iceberg)
1 cup of walnuts, finely chopped
1/3 cup of barberries, soak in water for 10-15 minutes and rinse a few times to get rid of dust and dirt
5-6 large eggs, break in a separate bowl, beat vigorously before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients
Extra virgin olive oil, 2-3 tablespoons
Butter, 1 tablespoon or as needed to coat the bottom and the sides of the pan
1 tablespoon flour
1/3 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously butter the bottom and the inside of your ovenproof dish
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the finely chopped vegetables, ground walnuts, barberries, olive oil, flour, turmeric, salt, pepper and mix well. Pour the well-beaten egg over the rest of the ingredients, mix thoroughly until everything is well coated.
- Pour the mixture into the ovenproof dish and place in the middle rack of the oven, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and bake for 40-50 minutes. After 20 minutes remove the foil.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.