1 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
3 small beetroots, trimmed off and cubed
Use whole or chop any young and tender beetroot greens
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 bunch fresh dill, washed and chopped
1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth or vegetable broth *optional
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup flour
Pinch of salt
Water (lukewarm) as needed
You may substitute dumplings with small pasta shapes.
- Combine the flour and salt, add water little by little, one tablespoon at a time and mix well. Add more flour and water as needed until a soft dough forms. Make small size balls out of the flour dough. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a stock pot on medium heat. Saute onions until golden brown, add turmeric and stir.
- Add lentils, beets, broth and 4-5 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 50 minutes.
- Gently place the dumplings into the soup. Add the vegetables, salt and pepper. Add more water if necessary. Cook for another 30 minutes. Carefully turn the dumplings once or twice until they are well cooked.
- Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar during the last ten minutes of simmering.
Enjoy! Wish you all a very happy, healthy, prosperous and glorious New Year!
Love, Peace and Blessings!