1 pound meat (lamb or beef), cubed
1 pound whole baby okra (fresh or frozen), wash and trim
1 cup tamarind sauce* (recipe at the bottom)
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 large onion, thinly sliced
7-9 garlic cloves, minced (use more if desired)
1 teaspoon red pepper (use more if desired)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
- Place 7 ounces of tamarind paste with pods in a bowl.
- Cover with 1-2 cups of hot water for an hour to soften.
- Then with a spoon/fork or your fingers try to get the pods separated from the pulp and get the juice out.
- Add more warm water if needed.
- Discard the seeds and strings.
- Pour the tamarind liquid in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and store it in a cool and dry place.
- In a large stew pot, heat 3 tablespoons of oil and saute onions on medium heat until golden. Add turmeric and garlic, saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the meat and brown on all sides. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 5 cups of water, bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Lower heat, cover and cook for 45-50 minutes or until meat is tender. Add water if needed.
- In a separate skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil, saute okra lightly over medium heat for five minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet heat a tablespoon of oil, add the tomato paste and cook for a couple of minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add the tomato sauce and tamarind sauce to the stew pot, simmer for another 5-7 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add the fried okras to the stew pot and cook for an additional 20 minutes to soak up the flavors.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.