For The Syrup
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup rosewater
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon powdered saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoons of hot water
For The Halva
1 cup vegetable oil or unsalted butter
- Combine the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a gentle boil, add the cardamom, saffron and the rosewater. Remove from the heat, set aside.
- Place a heavy-bottom pan over medium-low heat and lightly toast the flour for 8-10 minutes, until you smell the aroma. Stirring frequently.
- Add the oil and stir continuously for about 10-12 minutes over low heat.
- While stirring, gradually pour the sugar syrup into the pan, until it is fully absorbed and the halva has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the halva onto a serving platter. With the back of a spoon flatten the halva and garnish with the desired toppings.