2 cups long grain white basmati rice
2 cup carrots, peeled and shredded
1 cup orange skin, slivered
1 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup sugar (may be adjusted to your liking)
1/2 teaspoon powdered saffron dissolved in 3 tablespoons of hot water
Dash of cinnamon
- Rinse 3 large oranges and using a vegetable peeler, peel the skin and cut into thin stripes. Rinse well under cold water. Place the slivered orange peels into a small pot, add a cup of cold water, boil for 3-5 minutes over medium-high heat, drain and repeat the process two more times.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add the shredded carrots and saute for about 5-7 minutes, add the slivered almonds, then add the sliced orange peels. Continue sauteing for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Add the sugar, a dash of cinnamon, pour 1/2 cup of water, gently stir, cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.Set aside.
- In a large bowl wash the rice with cool water a few times. Soak the rice in 8 cups of water, add 2-3 tablespoons salt and set aside for at least a couple of hours.
- In a large non stick pot, bring 8 cups of water to a rapid boil over medium-high heat. Drain the rice and pour into the boiling water. Bring the water back to a boil for about 10 minutes or until the grains are long, soft on the outside and hard in the center. Drain the rice in a colander and rinse the par-boiled rice with cool water.
- Wash the pot and return to heat, add 3 tablespoons of oil, with a large spatula place 1/3 of the rice into the pot, add a layer of the carrot mixture, building it into a pyramid shape away from the sides of the pot. In order to release the steam make 4-5 holes in the rice with the bottom of the spatula.
- Cook the rice for about 7-10 minutes over medium-high heat or until rice is steaming, pour 2 tablespoons of oil, 1/4 cup of water and the liquid saffron, lower the heat, cover and steam the rice for another 50 minutes.