January 27, 2009

Persian Macaroni


Macaroni

Persian-style ماکارونی macaroni (spaghetti) with ground beef, onion, garlic and tomato sauce is delicious and quick to make. This simple pasta dish is perfect for lunch or dinner any time of the year that your family will love! I usually make this dish with thin spaghetti noodles. However, you can use any type of pasta noodles.

Macaroni Irani

Iranian Macaroni (Spaghetti) with Meat Sauce

Persian Macaroni (Spaghetti)

Ingredients:
Serves 4

1 pound lean ground beef
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
A pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil

1 lb thin spaghetti


Method:
  1. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat, add onions, saute until translucent. Add the garlic, saute for another 2-3 minutes. Add the turmeric powder, stir. 
  2. Add the meat to the skillet, break it into very small pieces, and brown. Stir in tomato paste, cook for 2-3 minutes, add the tomato sauce, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, and a cup of water. Stir well. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes. 
  3. Bring the large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add salt and cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside. 
  4. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy bottom nonstick pot, add some of the pasta, add a large scoop of the meat sauce, then add another layer of the pasta. Building it into the shape of a pyramid. Cover and cook for about 30-40 minutes over low heat.
Serve with salad shirazi.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Tried this recipe last night and it was a hit! Thanks for doing this blog, it's incredibly helpful!

    Pics of our macaroni: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ario/archives/date-posted/2009/04/11/

    Added a layer of potato tahdeeg for that extra something :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ario, you made my day! I am so glad you tried the recipe and that it was a success. It looks very delicious.

    I also liked the step by step pics you provided. I may start doing that too. :)
    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure there should be dried mint in there too.

    But otherwise I shall give your tahdig recipe a try ;-)

    Ta

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baradar, I've never cooked macaroni with dry mint but I might give it a try next time I make it. Thanks for visiting and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah,I am going to make this tomorrow, Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Azita,
    I cant say thank you enough for posting this! you ROCK! thanks a lot for providing this delicious recipe, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi ,

    thanks for sharing a setp by step recipe. I just have a question . what doese 'saute' mean . I checked in dictionary but nothing found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saute means to fry briefly in oil over high heat.

      Delete
  8. I made it, turned out perfect! although I'm a beginner but it was very good! I love your recopies, Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete