Madaram (My Mother)
Sharbat Rivas - Rhubarb Sherbet
2 pounds rhubarb, washed, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 1/2 cup sugar
Juice of 1-2 lemons
1 tablespoon rose water *optional
- Place the rhubarb chunks into a large pot and pour in 3-4 cups of water to cover the rhubarbs. Bring to a boil on medium heat, stirring occasionally and cook till rhubarb is completely soft about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain the rhubarb in a fine mesh sieve, pressing down on the pulps.
- Pour the juice back in the pot, add sugar and bring to a gentle boil over medium-low heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Reduce heat and simmer until the rhubarb syrup thickens a bit.
- Add a tablespoon of rose water for the added aroma in the last ten minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before pouring the syrup into glass bottles and refrigerate.
- Combine a cup of rhubarb syrup with a cup of ice, 3 cups of water and lemon juice, mix well, taste and adjust to your liking. Serve chilled.