Borani Kangar - Persian Yogurt and Cardoon Dip
1 bunch cardoons
2 1/2 cups plain yogurt
1-2 garlic cloves, minced *optional
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare cardoons remove all leaves and thorns, peel strings with a peeler, cut the stalks into small pieces.
- To prevent discoloration place the cardoons in a bowl of water and juice of two large lemons for ten minutes.
- In a large pot bring 4 cups of water to a boil on medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of salt and cardoons. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender and drain.
- Chop cardoons finely by hand or use a food processor.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan, add minced garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Then add the chopped cardoons and saute lightly for 5-7 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Combine yogurt and cardoon garlic mixture together, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Place borani in a serving bowl and garnish with dried mint. I also used crushed walnuts and barberries but that's optional. Serve it as an appetizer cold or at room temperature with your favorite dish or any party meals.