April 10, 2010

Nargesi Esfenaj - Spinach with Eggs


Nargesi Esfenaj

نرگسی اسفناج Nargesi Esfenaj is a great vegetable dish made with spinach, sauteed onions and eggs (sunny side up) on top. Narges (Narcissus) is a name of a beautiful spring flower and also the Greek mythology about a beautiful young man who falls in love with his own reflection in the waters of a pond and he perishes there, leaving the narcissus flower to grow in his place. The name Narges is a girl's name in Iran and was my great grandmother's name, whom I've never met but have heard so much about, a woman with a great love for poetry, especially that of Hafez.

Persian meals are usually served along with a plate full of fresh and seasonal herbs and vegetables (sabzi khordan) such as tarragon, basil, chives, mint, parsley, cilantro, radishes and scallions. Cooking with herbs and vegetables is an essential part of Persian cooking. In addition to our meat-based dishes, we have our delicious and healthy vegetable foods as well.  I often remind my kids to eat their fruits and veggies every day! It's perhaps a part of being a mom that you tend to repeat things till you get the results you wish and hope for! It takes a certain skill, patience, and perseverance to teach your children about nutrition and healthy food and to feed them well. Sometimes I feel as if I'm in a competition with the neighborhood pizzeria and Taco Bell and they get to win many times! I try to serve fresh herbs, green salads and fruits with every meal of the day.


Nargesi

Nargesi Esfenaj - Spinach with Eggs


Ingredients:
Serves 2

4 cups spinach, chopped
2-4 eggs
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil or vegetable oil for frying

Method:
  1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion until translucent, add garlic, turmeric and saute for another 5 minutes. 
  2. Add spinach, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
  3. Break the eggs one at a time into a small bowl and add them to the skillet.
  4. Cover and cook for a few minutes until the eggs are set.
Serve warm on a platter with baked potatoes, yogurt, and warm bread.

Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. azita joon- what a beautiful name your grandmother had. i *love* that last photo- it is so beautiful, the angle and the light is perfect. love this recipe- and no, taco bell does not win, fresh food always win. lovely recipe. i am just about to post smthg similar- but w tomatoes. xo shayma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Azita, since I just watched a documentary on the childhood obesity epidemic in the USA, your comments about nutrition for our kids are so important because you literally ARE competing with every fast food restaurant and every single commercial your kids see. I feel one of the most important things we can do for our kids is keep them firmly in touch and in love with the food of their culture and to (constantly) remind them of the difference between junk food and real food. Thanks for this recipe. I'll be sure to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Azita

    Love your grandmother's name, sounds so poetic
    ! I had seen this recipe in my Persian cookbook by Najmieh B. but never attempted it. Your version is spurring me to try now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a well prepared dish. I have never has spinach with eggs, but I suspect that it will be great. Thanks for the recipe. Keep up the great work with your articles and please stop by my health blog sometime. The web address is http://healthy-nutrition-facts.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunny side up eggs just go so perfectly with everything, don't you think? This plate is gorgeous. I love how you showcased the dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, nice meal...simple and yet very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent, love the eggs here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious and healthy dish. I love Hafez as well by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favorite dish, and since it is not one my family favorites I like it even more since I can make it just for one.
    Thanks again for sharing
    Firoozeh

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and healthy dish. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh looks lovely and great story behind it

    ReplyDelete
  12. looooove your blog
    i was looking for nargesi recipe and this is it :)
    thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just cooked yesterday some spinach!!! But your recipe is definitely an inspiration!!!
    Kisses from http://cinnamonspicedart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this was some interesting alternative to the well-known (at least in my cultural circle) dish. I was always doing an egg separately on the pan. I liked this idea to put it on the spinach, so I did it (with fresh spinach) and I must admit it was as well tasty and a bit different (with turmeric) what is a very good thing.
    Wioletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wioletta, I'm so glad you enjoyed this recipe. Thank you!

      Delete
  15. I am not the best cook in the world. I get lost at Step 3. Where / how do I cook the eggs? I need a small bowl? I normally fry an egg in the frying pan. The skillet has a lid? I need to buy one so I want to make sure I get the correct kind.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, you can crack open the eggs into a small bowl or break the eggs on top of the spinach and covering the skillet/frying pan with a lid.

      Delete