Fesenjoon with Meatballs
- In a heavy skillet, heat walnuts over medium heat for about a minute or two. Stirring frequently. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine meat, add the ground meat, turmeric, salt and pepper. Shape into small meatballs and set aside.
- In a large pot, saute onions until golden brown in 3 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add meatballs and fry until brown on all sides.
- Add the grated carrots and ground walnuts and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Add pomegranate sauce, simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar, saffron and a little more water if needed. Cover with the lid slightly ajar and cook for another 30 minutes on low heat. Taste and adjust the seasoning. If you prefer a sweet fesenjoon add more sugar to make it sweeter, if you like it more sour add more of the pomegranate sauce to the stew. However, the taste should be a wonderfully well balanced mix between sweet and sour.
Here's the link for my other Fesenjoon recipe.