Maygoo Polow - Rice with shrimp
For the Rice:
2 cups basmati rice
1-2 tablespoons butter, melted (for drizzling over the rice) *optional
1/4 teaspoon powdered saffron dissolved in 3 tablespoons of hot water
For the Shrimp:
2 cups fresh baby shrimps
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper
1/3 ground Persian limes (limoo amani)
1/4 teaspoon dried fenugreek
1/2 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- Wash rice with cool water and soak in 8 cups of water and 4 tablespoons of salt for 2 hours. Drain.
- Rinse the shrimp with cool water, drain.
- In a bowl, combine the shrimp with minced garlic, black pepper, red pepper, fenugreek, turmeric, ground limoo amani and salt, set aside for an hour.
- In a non-stick pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Drain rice and gently pour into boiling water. Bring water back to a boil for about 7 minutes. Test to see if rice is ready, it should be firm in the center and soft on the outside. Strain and rinse with cool water.
- Wash the pot and return to heat. Add 4 tablespoons oil to the bottom of the pot and with a large spoon place rice in the pot, layering it with the marinated shrimp and building it into a pyramid shape. Make a few holes in the rice to let the steam out. Cook for about 7 minutes on medium-high heat. When rice starts steaming sprinkle 2 tablespoons oil, 2-3 tablespoons of water and the saffron over rice, cover, lower the heat and steam for about 45 minutes.
*Variation: Saute a large thinly sliced onion in 2 tablespoons of oil, add 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, turmeric, stir, add the shrimp, salt, black pepper, red pepper, ground lime and fenugreek, cook for a few minutes or until shrimp begin to change color. Then add it to the rice.