February 27, 2010

Kookoo Kadoo - Persian Zucchini Kookoo


Persian kookoo/kuku is a combination of finely chopped or grated vegetables such as potatoes, herbs and zucchini mixed in with eggs and spices and fried on the stove or baked in the oven. Zucchini kookoo is a healthy, light and tasty dish. In our home, this is a favorite! It's one of the few dishes that both my kids, who are picky eaters, love and ask for and there are usually no left-overs. Kookoo kadoo may be served as a side dish when serving guests but I like to serve it with some fresh and crisp salad, a dollop of yogurt and some warm pita bread.


Kookoo Kadoo -  Zucchini Kookoo

Ingredients:
Serves 4-6

4 large zucchini, peeled and grated
3 large eggs
1 medium onion, peeled and grated, discard juice
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons flour
1/3 teaspoon turmeric
A pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil for frying

Method:
  1. Sprinkle the grated zucchini with salt and let sit in a colander for 10-15 minutes and squeeze out the excess water.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine zucchini, onion, garlic, flour, turmeric, salt, pepper and the eggs. Mix thoroughly.  
  3. In a large frying pan, heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Scoop the mixture using a large spoon and carefully place into the hot oil and fry on both sides until golden brown. 
  4. You can also pour the mixture in a greased ovenproof baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven until kookoo is completely set. I used a non-stick square muffin pan.
  5.  Best served warm. 
Enjoy!

19 comments:

  1. oh wow this looks awesome can I have one please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks heavenly. I can't wait to try. (Pretty pic, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love kookoo! This one looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Azita joon, i love the way you have created small, bite size pieces of kuku. your posts are always so succinct, pretty and perfect. x shayma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chow and Chatter, Sure you can have more than one!:)
    CheriWiles, Thank you so much!
    Maninas, Thanks!
    Shayma joon, Thank you for your kind words!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds so yummy! I can't wait to make these for my family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally see why your kids ask for this! If I were them, I would crave it on a daily basis. It looks so good and I love the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your presentation of the dish is simply beautiful Azita! Thanks!

    BTW if you'd like to guest blog on Norwuz on Silk Road Gourmet in a couple of weeks I'd still love to host it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work, Azita. Love the square shape and the option to bake. When in doubt, let the oven do the work, I always say ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 5 Star foodie, thank you and please do give it a try!
    Joanne, That's very kind of you, thanks!
    Laura Kelly, Sure, I'd love to guest blog and I'll contact you soon. Thank you!
    Fitri, Thanks!
    Bria, Thank you and I agree with you on that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love these and so would my family! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all the Persian kookoos and this one in particular is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does the zucchini need to be cooked before mixing it with the rest of the mixture?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous, no, there's no need to cook them before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Azita, I've tried this and the jeweled rice and both were fabulous! I've posted about them both. I have a few more bookmarked. Love your website and all the info you provide. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is the zucchini actually grated -- into small particles -- or is it shredded?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the zucchini was shredded using a box grater.

      Delete