1 pound ground beef, lamb or turkey
2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 medium sized potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into small pieces
2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
- In non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil on medium heat, add half of the chopped onions, saute until golden brown.
- Add turmeric, stir well, add the garlic.
- Add the ground beef and saute until brown. Add the tomato paste and cook for another few minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water.
- Mix in the chopped potatoes and add salt and pepper to taste. Add a pinch of red pepper.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan over medium heat, add the second batch of the chopped onions, fry until soft and golden. Add the sauteed onions to the beef and potato mixture. Stir well, cover and cook on low heat for 40 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning.