I sometimes fall into the trap of making the same kind of food one too many times. Don’t you think most of us have a set menu of our favorite foods that we tend to stick with a majority of the time? If you give me chicken, the first thing I make is salad olivieh! However, this time I’m resisting the temptation of cooking the same thing over and over and instead made this wonderful chicken dish with green beans, carrots and tomatoes. خوراک مرغ Khorak-e Morgh is an easy and delicious one skillet meal.
2 pounds skinless chicken, cut into pieces
2 cups of fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
2 large carrots, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
2 large potatoes, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
A handful of dried plums
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon turmeric
A dash of cinnamon
2-3 limoo amani or juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan saute onions in 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat until translucent, add the garlic and saute for another 2-3 minutes. Add turmeric and a pinch of salt, stir well.
- Add the chicken to the pan and fry on both sides. Add salt, pepper and cinnamon.
- Add the tomato sauce and a cup of water, lower the heat, cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add the green beans, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes and limoo amani or the lemon juice.
- Cover and cook for another 40 minutes over medium to low heat.
- This dish could also be made in the oven. After you cook the chicken in the pan, transfer it to an oven proof dish, add all the vegetables, spices and the tomato sauce, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about an hour until the chicken is well cooked.
- Add the prunes near the end of cooking. Taste and adjust the seasoning