3 lamb shanks, rinsed
1 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight
1 1/2 cups white beans, soaked overnight
4 medium onions, peeled and quartered
4 medium tomatoes, cut into two equal pieces
4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 tablespoon tomato paste *optional
1 teaspoon turmeric
Dash of cinnamon
4 dried limes (limoo-amani), available in Persian/Iranian specialty stores
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot bring 4 cups of water to a gentle boil over medium heat. Add the turmeric powder, gently place the lamb shanks in the pot along with the onions, chickpeas, beans, tomatoes, dried limes, salt and pepper.
- Add enough water to cover all ingredients by a couple of inches. Cover and cook for an hour over medium heat.
- In a small skillet, heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the tomato paste, cook for 2-3 minutes until it changes color, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato paste to the pot.
- Add the potatoes and cinnamon. Add more water if needed. Cover and cook for another 45 minutes over medium-low heat or until meat is fully cooked and tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Remove any bones before serving and pass the soup through a strainer.
- Pour the soup into a large serving bowl. Add a couple of tablespoons of the beans, meat and potatoes back to the soup and return the rest of the ingredients into a mixing bowl. Use a wooden masher or potato masher and mash the ingredients until smooth.