I serve these delicious potato patties (kookoo sib zamini) either as a side dish or as a main dish for a light lunch or dinner. Fried vegetable and egg dishes are called kookoo/kuku in Iran. There are different variations of this recipe. کوکو سیب زمینی (Kookoo Sib Zamini) is a great dish to bring to your next picnic!
Kookoo Sib Zamini - Persian Potato Patties
Yield: 12 potato patties
2 pounds potatoes
3 large eggs
1 small yellow onion, grated, discard the juice
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a large pot, add water to cover by a couple of inches, boil on medium-high heat until tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Peel the potatoes and grate them.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl, add grated potatoes, onions, turmeric, flour, salt and pepper. Mix all ingredients well. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Make small patties, flatten them in an oval or round shape. You can also spoon the potato mixture into the oil.
- Heat 5-6 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry potato patties on both sides until golden brown.