ماست و بادمجان/ بورانی بادمجان Mast-o-Bademjan/ Borani Bademjan (eggplant and yogurt dip) is a very delicious appetizer especially for eggplant lovers. Also, if you enjoy the taste of garlic, this is a kind of dish that you may use as many garlic cloves as you like!
2 large eggplant
2 cups plain yogurt
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon dried mint
A pinch of red pepper *optional
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil or olive oil
- Make 2-3 cuts in each eggplant to let the steam out and prevent it from bursting in the oven. Place the eggplant on the sheet pan and bake in a 400 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until soft. Remove from the oven, set aside to cool.
- Remove the skin, chop into small pieces and place in a colander to drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the onions, saute until golden, add the garlic, stir for 2-3 minutes, add the dried mint. Mix thoroughly.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the eggplant flesh, yogurt, sauteed onion and garlic, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with a pinch dried mint, red pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve cold or at room temperature with warm bread.