ماست و بادمجان/ بورانی بادمجان Mast-o-Bademjan/ Borani Bademjan (eggplant and yogurt dip) is a very delicious appetizer especially for eggplant lovers. Also, if you enjoy the taste of garlic, this is a kind of dish that you may use as many garlic cloves as you like!
2 large eggplant
2 cups plain yogurt
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon dried mint
A pinch of red pepper *optional
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil or olive oil
- Make 2-3 cuts in each eggplant to let the steam out and prevent it from bursting in the oven. Place the eggplant on the sheet pan and bake in a 400 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until soft. Remove from the oven, set aside to cool.
- Remove the skin, chop into small pieces and place in a colander to drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the onions, saute until golden, add the garlic, stir for 2-3 minutes, add the dried mint. Mix thoroughly.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the eggplant flesh, yogurt, sauteed onion and garlic, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with a pinch dried mint, red pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve cold or at room temperature with warm bread.
Amazing recipe. Made this to our company cookout last week and it was a hit. Made it the night before and let it sit in the fridge all night so flavors develop more. I have been asked for the recipe from 2 other people already. Referred them to the blog as well.ReplyDelete
Thank you very much, Abbas. I'm so glad you liked the recipe.Delete
Do you sauté the onion and garlic?ReplyDelete
Neda jan, yes and I have made the necessary corrections in my post. Thank you!Delete
Made it last night, I also added some chopped fresh mint. Tnx. great recipe .ReplyDelete
Patlıcan ve yoğurt birbirine çok yakışır. Harika...ReplyDelete