ماست و بادمجان/ بورانی بادمجان Mast-o-Bademjan/ Borani Bademjan (eggplant and yogurt dip) is a very delicious appetizer especially for eggplant lovers. Also, if you enjoy the taste of garlic, this is a kind of dish that you may use as many garlic cloves as you like!
2 large eggplant
2 cups plain yogurt
2 medium onion, thinly sliced
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon dried mint
A pinch of red pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil or olive oil
- Make 2-3 cuts in each eggplant to let the steam out and prevent it from bursting in the oven. Place the eggplant in a baking dish and cook in a 400 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes or until soft. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Remove the skin and chop them into small pieces and place in a colander to drain.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the onions, saute until golden, add the garlic, stir for 2-3 minuts.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Transfer into a serving dish, garnish with chopped fresh mint leaves or dried mint, a pinch of red pepper and a drizzle of olive oil or fried onions.
- Serve cold or at room temperature with warm bread.