2 cups red lentils, rinsed well
1 large onion, thinly sliced
5-7 garlic cloves, finely minced
2-3 tablespoons tamarind sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon red pepper powder, or to taste
Salt to taste
- Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until soft and light brown. Then add minced garlic and saute for another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric and stir well.
- Stir in a tablespoon of tomato paste and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add red lentils, fill with enough water to cover by 2 inches above the lentils.
- Add salt, pepper and tamarind sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender and the liquid is absorbed. Taste and adjust seasoning, add a little bit of water if necessary.
- Red lentils cook quite fast, if you prefer a smoother dal adas cook it a bit longer or add more water if you like it thinner.