1 pound meat (lamb or beef), washed and cubed
1 pound whole baby okra (fresh or frozen), wash and trim
1 cup tamarind sauce* (recipe at the bottom)
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 large onion, thinly sliced
7-9 garlic cloves, minced (use more if desired)
1 teaspoon red pepper (use more if desired)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
- Place 7 ounces of tamarind past with pods in a bowl.
- Cover with 1-2 cups of hot water for an hour to soften.
- Then with a spoon/fork or your fingers try to get the pods separated from the pulp and get the juice out.
- Add more warm water if needed.
- Discard the seeds and strings.
- Pour the tamarind liquid in a jar with tight fitting lid and store in a cool and dry place.
- In a large pan, heat 3 tablespoons of oil and saute onions on medium heat till golden, add turmeric and garlic, saute for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add meat and brown on all sides. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 4 cups of water, bring to a boil on medium- high heat. Lower heat, cover and cook for 45 minutes or till meat is tender.
- In a separate skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil, saute okra lightly over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Fry tomato paste in a tablespoon of oil for a couple of minutes over low heat.
- Add tomato paste and tamarind sauce to the pan, cook for another 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the fried okras to the pan and cook for an additional 20 minutes to soak up the flavors.
- Adjust seasoning. Add water if needed.