2 pounds meat (lamb or beef), washed and cubed
4 medium-size quince, washed, cored and sliced (could be cubed too), slice right before cooking.
1 cup yellow split peas, picked over and rinsed
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 -3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon liquid saffron
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 dried lemons (limoo omani/amani) or juice of a lime
2 tablespoons sugar
A dash of cinnamon
2 cups of water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
- In a heavy pot heat oil and saute chopped onions until they are golden brown, add turmeric and stir.
- Place the meat and brown on all sides.
- Then add the peas to the pot and give it a gentle stir, cook together for five minutes, add salt and pepper, cinnamon, saffron and dried lemon.
- Pour water in the pot, mix in the tomato paste, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cook on a medium to low heat for an hour.
- Using a non-stick frying pan, melt the butter on medium heat and saute the sliced quince on both sides for ten minutes.
- Sprinkle sugar and stir till sugar is completely melted. Set aside.
- In an oven-proof casserole dish, pour in the meat mixture, adjust the seasoning and gently layer the quince on top.
- Cook in the 350 degrees Fahrenheit pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes.
* I garnished the stew with some slices of a small and ripe khormaloo (persimmon).