- Drink چای tea or hot water with fresh squeezed lime/lemon juice and some honey.
- Eat cooked شلغم shalgham (turnip). Cook 4-5 small turnips in a cup of water for 15- 20 minutes on medium-low heat. Don't over cook them. Serve warm, add a dash of salt before you eat if you happen to not like the taste of cooked turnips.
- Eat your fruits and vegetables. Citrus fruits such as grapefruits, oranges, and tangerines are a good source of vitamin C. There is a citrus fruit in Iran known as لیموشیرین limoo shirin (sweet lemon) which is mostly used for treating the cold symptoms. You may find it in most Iranian/Persian grocery stores when in season.
- Gargle salted water which alleviates soar throat.
- Drink lots of fluids.
- Make a simple chicken soup.
- Rest and sleep.
4-5 pieces of chicken, (drumsticks, thighs or wings), remove skin
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 medium-size tomatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons rice, rinsed
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
4 cups of water
Juice of 2 limes/lemons
- In a large pot place the chicken and all the other ingredients, except the carrots, parsley and the lime juice.
- Place the pot on medium heat, bring to boil, reduce heat and cook for an hour on low heat.
- After an hour, add the vegetables to the pot, adjust the seasoning and add more water if needed.
- Cook for another 20 minutes, add the lime juice before serving, stir and serve warm.
Stay warm and keep healthy!