Persian Macaroni

Persian-style macaroni is one of our favorite dishes. This is a simple and delicious recipe for pasta with a meat sauce. I usually make macaroni with the thin spaghetti noodles. However, you can use any kind of pasta for this dish.

Persian Macaroni

Serves 4

1 pound lean ground beef
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 bunches of fresh parsley, chopped
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup of water
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil

1 lb thin spaghetti

  1. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat, add onions and saute until translucent. Add the garlic, saute for another 2-3 minutes. Add the turmeric powder, stir well. 
  2. Add the meat to the skillet, break into very small pieces and brown. Then add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, a cup of water, salt and pepper to taste. 
  3. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes. Add chopped parsley near the end of cooking time.
  4. Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside. 
  5. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy bottom nonstick pot, add some of the pasta, add a large scoop of the sauce, then add another layer of the pasta. Building it into a shape of pyramid. Cover and cook for about 40 minutes over low heat.
Serve with salad shirazi.



  1. Tried this recipe last night and it was a hit! Thanks for doing this blog, it's incredibly helpful!

    Pics of our macaroni:

    Added a layer of potato tahdeeg for that extra something :)

  2. Ario, you made my day! I am so glad you tried the recipe and that it was a success. It looks very delicious.

    I also liked the step by step pics you provided. I may start doing that too. :)
    Thanks for the link!

  3. I'm pretty sure there should be dried mint in there too.

    But otherwise I shall give your tahdig recipe a try ;-)



  4. Baradar, I've never cooked macaroni with dry mint but I might give it a try next time I make it. Thanks for visiting and commenting.

  5. Ah,I am going to make this tomorrow, Thanks

  6. Azita,
    I cant say thank you enough for posting this! you ROCK! thanks a lot for providing this delicious recipe, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

  7. hi ,

    thanks for sharing a setp by step recipe. I just have a question . what doese 'saute' mean . I checked in dictionary but nothing found.

    1. Saute means to fry briefly in oil over high heat.

  8. I made it, turned out perfect! although I'm a beginner but it was very good! I love your recopies, Thanks for sharing them!