Kookoo Sib Zamini - Persian Potato Patties



I serve these delicious potato patties (kookoo sib zamini) either as a side dish or as a main dish for a light lunch or dinner. Fried vegetable and egg dishes are called kookoo/kuku in Iran. There are different variations of this recipe. I make this recipe frequently. کوکو سیب زمینی (Kookoo sibzamini) is a great dish for summer picnics, try it on your next outing.


Kookoo Sib Zamini - Persian Potato Patties

Ingredients:
Serves 4-6

2 pounds baking potatoes
5 eggs
1 medium-sized yellow onion, grated, discard the juice
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil
Water

Method:
  1. Place potatoes in a large pot, add water to cover by couple of inches, boil on medium-high heat until tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
  2. Remove skin, mash or put through grinder.
  3. Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl, add grated onions, mashed potatoes, turmeric, salt and pepper to taste. Mix all ingredients really well. Set aside for 20-30 minutes.
  4. Make small patties, flatten them in an oval shape or round. You can also spoon the potato mixture into the oil.
  5. Heat 4-5 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry potato patties on both sides until golden brown. 
Serve warm or cold with fresh herbs, pickles, olives, yogurt and warm bread.


Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Azita. I was wondering if I should add the onion or not. I found it here. By the way wouldn't five eggs in 2pound of potatos make the mixture too sloppy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onions add a wonderful flavor to the potato mixture. However, you can make this dish without it if you prefer. If you find the mixture too sloppy, you may add 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder or use 4 eggs instead. Thank you

      Delete
  2. I have to say, I love your blog and find that your family's style of cooking and specifics about the dishes resemble my own very much. Your blog is the only place I send people when they ask me for Persian recipes.
    That being said, I've made this dish three times and I must say, there is something off about this recipe.
    My grandmother used to make this dish all the time and by comparison, your recipe is way too runny and soft, frying them is an exercise in tension and disappointment. I don't know why, since your photos look right. It could be that I live in a particularly humid part of the country but even adding flour doesn't seem to work. I'll experiment with less eggs and see if I can approximate grandma better and report back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bazil, so sorry to hear that the recipe didn't work out! You can use 3 eggs instead of the suggested 5 eggs. Please let me know how it works out for you!

      Delete
  3. Probably depends on the size of your eggs, and the size of your potatoes! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete