Dolmeh Felfel - Stuffed Bell Peppers
10 medium-size bell peppers, rinsed
1 lb. ground meat (beef, lamb or turkey)
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup rice, rinsed
1/2 cup yellow split peas, rinsed
1 bunch parsley, chopped
1 bunch chives or scallions, chopped
1 bunch of dill, chopped
2 tablespoons dried tarragon
2 tablespoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
A dash of cinnamon
Juice of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons tomato sauce *optional
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cut the tops of each bell pepper and set aside, clean the inside of peppers and remove seeds, lightly salt inside of each pepper.
- In a frying pan saute onions in 2 tablespoons of oil until soft and transparent, add turmeric, ground meat, salt and pepper to taste and brown the meat. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, place rice and the split peas, add 3 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of oil and a teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook on medium-low heat until water is fully absorbed for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meat, rice and peas, chopped fresh vegetables, dried herbs, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the rice and meat mixture into the bell peppers.
- Arrange the stuffed peppers in a large pot, put tops back on the peppers.
- In a small bowl, mix 1- 1/2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the peppers. Cover and cook for about an hour on medium to low heat until the peppers are well cooked.
- You can also bake this dish in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes. If you like a sweet dolmeh sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of sugar over the peppers before placing them in the oven.