The recipe for shirini keshmeshi is adapted from here. The original recipe calls for food coloring which I never use in my cooking and I also cut down on the amount of sugar and raisins.
Shirini Keshmeshi - Persian Raisin Cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup small raisins
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup superfine sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 teaspoon powdered saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, butter, oil and eggs.
- Mix thoroughly and add the saffron, vanilla and the raisins and blend well.
- Take a teaspoonful of the cookie dough and place on the parchment covered baking sheet, leave about 1-2 inches of space between them.
- Place the cookies into the 350 degrees Fahrenheit pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes or until they are light golden at edges.
- Cool on racks. Store them in an air tight container.
Enjoy and Happy Spring!