Saffron Rice with Cranberries
2 cups rice
2 cups dried cranberries
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon saffron dissolved in 3-4 tablespoons of hot water
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter
- Wash rice with cool water and soak in 4-5 cups of water with 2 tablespoons of salt and set aside for at least a couple of hours.
- Soak cranberries in 2 cups of water for about ten minutes to plump up. Drain.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute sliced onion until golden brown. Add turmeric and stir well, then add cranberries and saute for about 2-3 minutes. Add a tablespoon of dissolved saffron, 2 tablespoons of sugar and a pinch of salt, combine well and cook for 5-7 minutes on low heat. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick pot, bring 6 cups of water to a rapid boil, pour rice into boiling water. Bring water back to boil and wait for 10-15 minutes. Test to see if rice is ready-- the grain of rice should still be firm on the inside and have a bite to it.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Wash the pot and put it back on the burner. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pot, add a layer of rice into the pot, a layer of cranberry and onion mixture, then another layer of rice and continue building into a pyramid shape. Pour 1/2 a cup of water evenly over the rice and add the remaining saffron. Make 2-3 holes in the rice to let the steam out. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes on medium-high heat until rice is steaming, lower heat and cook the rice for 40-50 minutes on medium-low heat.
Enjoy! Peace and blessings.