2 cups whole wheat flour, sifted
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter or vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup rosewater
1/4 teaspoon powdered saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoons of hot water *optional
- Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until it becomes syrupy. Add the saffron and the rosewater. Set aside to cool.
- Place a heavy-bottom pan over medium-low heat and lightly toast the wheat flour for 8-10 minutes, until you smell the aroma. Stirring frequently.
- Add the butter and stir continuously for about 15 minutes over low heat.
- While stirring slowly pour the sugar syrup into the saucepan, until the syrup is fully absorbed.
- Cover and cook over low heat for another 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer halva onto a serving platter. With the back of a spoon flatten halva and garnish with the desired toppings.