2 cups whole wheat flour, sifted
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter or vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup rosewater
1/4 teaspoon powdered saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoons of hot water *optional
- Combine sugar and water in a medium size pot. Bring the water to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add the saffron and the rosewater. Set aside.
- Place a skillet over medium-low heat and lightly toast the flour for about 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the butter and stir continuously for about 15 minutes over low heat.
- Slowly pour the sugar syrup into the skillet while stirring until the syrup is fully absorbed.
- Cook over low heat for another 7-10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer halva onto a serving platter. With the back of a spoon flatten halva and give it some shapes.