Rice with Black-eyed peas and dill
Loobia-Cheshm-Bolboli Polow - Rice with Black-Eyed Peas
2 cups rice, rinse and soak in salted water for two hours
1 1/2 cup dried black-eyed peas, rinse
1/2 teaspoon of ground saffron mixed with 2-3 tablespoons of hot water (liquid saffron)
Butter or vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped dates *optional
1/2 cup currants *optional
1 small onion, peeled, thinly sliced and caramelized *optional
- Place black-eyed peas in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over medium high-heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook the beans for about 40 minutes or until tender.
- In the meantime, in a non-stick pot bring 6-8 cups of water to boil, add rice and boil for 10-15 minutes or until the ends are soft and the center is still a bit firm.
- In the last five minutes, gently scoop in the cooked beans to the boiling rice and let the rice and the beans boil together for 5-7 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and rinse gently with cool water.
- Wash and clean the pot, add 3 tablespoons of oil to the bottom, add rice and the beans, place the pot on the stove on medium heat. When you notice the steam come up, pour 2 tablespoons of oil,1/4 cup of water and the liquid saffron. Put the lid back on tightly. You may wrap the lid in a towel to prevent the moisture from going back in. Cook for 45-50 minutes.
- In a small frying pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, saute onion until brown, add raisins and dates, saute for 3-5 minutes.