Salad Olivieh - Recipe #2

There have been culinary contributions from other cultures that were well received when they made their way into our culture, such as macaroni, salad olivieh and in the recent years, pizza. As I understand it, salad olivieh was first introduced to the Iranian cuisine somewhere between the late 60's and the early 70's and it easily became one of our popular dishes. It is said that "salad Olivier" was created by a French chef M. Olivier who opened a restaurant in Moscow in the 19th century and this was his recipe, if you are interested you can  read more about it, here.

The first time I had salad olivieh was at my sister's wedding reception.many years ago which was prepared by a caterer. It was served in an oval dome shape with some olives on top. It took me a while to like it but gradually it grew on me so much that this is actually my second post on salad olivieh. You can read my first salad olivieh post here.

The usual Iranian salad olivieh consists of the following ingredients: potatoes, chicken, eggs, sour cucumber pickles, olives, green peas, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper. In my new recipe I don't use any cooked eggs, and pickles are served on the side. Adding carrots gives it a little crunch and a slightly sweet taste. But I prefer a more tangy salad. I've got to tell you that when it comes to salad olivieh, my husband is the one who makes it most of the time! He adds his own touch by mixing in a handful of dried cranberries and it tastes very good.
Salad Olivieh

Serves 4-6

5-6 medium-size potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
1 pound of skinless boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1 cup green peas, cooked or if frozen, thawed
1 cup finely chopped carrots
1 cup mayonnaise
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 2 limes or lemons
Salt and pepper to taste

  1. In a large mixing bowl combine potatoes, chicken, peas and carrots. Mix well. 
  2. In a bowl place mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and add the sauce to the rest of the ingredients. Taste and adjust the seasoning. If you prefer it more creamy, add more mayonnaise to the dish. 
Serve with pickles, olives and warm bread.



  1. I sooooo sooooo LOVE salad olvieh! My grandma used to make it for my birthday every year when I lived in Iran!

  2. I am so intrigued by this salad! i have seen it in my Persian cookbook and now it seems as if it is a variant of the "salade russe" we used to eat in Lebanon! In any case, it looks delicious!

  3. I love this salad.A persian once gave me the super delicious recipe :D

  4. This would serve as a great party dish!

    As to the answer to your comment: yes you can use the dried methi/fenugreek with the potatoes; they will taste fantastic. But you will not have the fresh feel and the texture of the fresh methi. It will be a different dish but good.

  5. My Persian Kitchen, what a lovely and sweet grandmother and such a precious childhood memory.

    Taste of Beirut,I think that it's a variant of salade russe.thanks.

    Yasmeen, it is super delicious!

    Soma, Thank you so very much for your answer, I appreciate it.

  6. Love this stuff. Soooo decadent and delicious. It reminds me of festive occassions :-)

  7. This salad blew me away the first time I had it, it was so good I could not stop eating it, I did a post on it a while back too.

    Trying to find something on sweet lemons, and I thought I'd check your site and it took me to salad olivieh, =)